February 7, 2011

little pink flowers

Here's another little project for your family friendly Valentine's Day dinner table.  If you've embraced the idea of your little ones setting the table, which I discussed here, why not add a floral centerpiece to their design?  I bought some inexpensive little pink carnations for this centerpiece.  I simply trimmed them to a few appropriate stem lengths and let my daughter arrange them.  Simple, easy and so cute.

Buy the flowers yourself if you want control of the color scheme or type of flower.  Let your children do the shopping if you want something totally original.

Use any vessel you have already in your home.  A vase, a juice glass, an empty jar, a teacup, a trio of glass bottles.  Even better, send your little ones on a scavenger hunt around your home to find something special.  You'll certainly be surprised with what they come up with. 

We used an empty tin can.  This was once an 8oz can of tomato sauce.  My daughter painted it white, adding a little something extra to its appearance.  Two coats of just about any sort of paint will work.  Again, use what you have - random art supplies or leftover house paint.  A lovely centerpiece and a recycled craft project if you so desire.  Endless possibilities!

1 comment:

  1. This is adorable and such a good idea. You know, when I let go and let my kids have at it, the product is often better than I imagined it could be.

    ReplyDelete